Friday, July 18, 2014

How to Pack for Tour (Or Just an Adventure)

This year, during the season, I was invited to go on tour with the company. I was unbelievably excited. And immediately decided on all the things I wanted to bring with me.

The company had a really successful tour, and I was glad I brought what I did. Since then, packing has become somewhat of a sport for me, an amusing challenge for the over-achieving perfectionist that I am. Today, my friends and I are leaving for three weeks in Europe, and I couldn't be more excited... or more proud of my packing job.

Here are three things I couldn't live without on tour and throughout my summer travels, and how I'm fitting three weeks' worth of stuff into a carry-on suitcase and my dance bag:


  1. The first thing is the amazing travel teapot from Bonavita, which you can view here, along with my travel coffee maker from Melita, coffee filters, and of course, some freshly ground coffee. It is so small that you can stuff it full of socks and fit it right into your suitcase. And then you can have fresh coffee, wherever you are staying. Now, if you are not a coffee drinker, I'd still recommend bringing the Bonavita, especially if you're on tour. It was amazing to have in our room, and in the theater, for tea, or even for oatmeal for a quick, warm pick-me-up. It can really stretch your travel budget if you're not constantly buying coffee, tea, and snacks, and tide you over when you're somewhere remote and you don't have access to a coffee shop or a place to buy a snack. 
  2. This is more for the adventure side, but works for tour too, especially if you have sensitive skin or are a light sleeper. It also helps if you are at all worried about bedbugs. This is a must for the adventure side of traveling, if you are going to be staying on a friend's couch, a hostel, or in a remote hotel. The Cocoon Silk TravelSheet is basically a sleeping sack that packs down to nothing, about the size of the palm of your hand. It's also one hundred percent silk. Having this in your bag is like bringing your own sheets with you, except it takes up less room than an umbrella. 
  3. The LifeFactory glass water bottle makes life so much easier when you are traveling. Because it's glass, it is very easy to clean, and because of the outer layer, it won't break. It's also slim enough that it's not like carrying a huge Nalgene with you everywhere. I like to travel with vitamin powders that I can mix into my water, like Emergen-C, and this water bottle won't retain the smell or taste of Emergen-C after you wash it out, like other water bottles. 


So, those three things are definitely coming with me to Europe today. But also I'm bringing a lot of outfit options, and not checking a bag. Here's how I'm fitting three weeks' worth of stuff into a carry-on suitcase and my dance bag:

  • The most important thing that keeps me sane for packing, perfectionist that I am, is that I put nearly everything in a sack, packing cube, or shoe bag. This way, when you open your suitcase, you can always tell where everything is. And it doesn't look like a big mess of stuff. Also, these are definitely a must for international travel, because if someone goes through your bag at security, you'll have a very easy time putting everything back together. 


  • The packing cubes not only make it so much easier to stay organized, but they also give you a little bit more room in your bag. They also simplify the packing process. For the Europe trip, I filled two packing cubes with outfits for the three weeks, pajamas, and a small bag for laundry. Pictured here is one of the packing cubes (with my pajamas on top, because I like seeing the pattern!)





  • Smaller things, like swimsuits, and dance leotards and tights, go in smaller pouches. I like to use makeup bags like this one from Victoria's Secret, filled with swimsuits rolled up inside.






  • This all depends on the geography of your carry-on, but what's great about cloth pouches is that you can manipulate their shape. The finished carry-on looks like this:











  • I used my dance bag, the Lululemon Keep on Running small duffle, as my purse/second smaller carry-on bag. It holds my liquids, cosmetics, jewelry, sweater, scarf, travel pillow, sleep mask, glasses, vitamins, and electronics. The liquids were the biggest challenge for this trip, because I refuse to check a bag. It's expensive, and the thought of losing a bag makes me very uneasy. I used the Travelon TSA Compliant Quart Pouch to pack my liquids. The official rule is that you should have one, but I've never had a problem with bringing two. I used the bottles that came with the pouches, but also added other necessary things, all under three ounces. 







So there it is. Two bags, both carry-on size (actually, they're both slightly smaller than regulation carry-on size.) And I am off to Europe! 


No comments:

Post a Comment